Featured Post

Click for Links to Cabinet IRs/NAM Captures

Sunday, April 2, 2023

Behringer A800 Power Amp

Behringer A800 on top.

I bought a Behringer A800 power amp to power a pair of Realistic Minimus 7 speakers as a secondary monitor reference. At $200, it was cheaper than most new budget stereo rackmount power amps. An Audio Science Review of the A800 had encouraging measurements of frequency response, good enough for my monitoring purposes. I am monitoring at fairly low volumes, so I am barely cracking the dials and not pushing this power amp to its limits. The Minimus 7 and A800 combination are a good alternative reference to my JBL LSR305. The mids on the Minimus 7 are very noticeable, making it apparent when snares or guitar volumes are unbalanced. Yet the sound is not as lo-fi as an Avantone Mixcube; listening experience is still pleasing.

Running the A800 in Bridge Mono for guitar amp.

I tried using it as a mono power amp to make some guitar cabinet impulse responses. Coupled with a Chameleon Labs 7603 microphone preamp, I was able to get finally capture IRs that had a sufficient low end to my liking. I didn’t know how to accurately dial in my Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 to be flat response in the low end for this application.

I've started reshooting my cab IRs. I started with my cabs with the Greenback, Creamback G12H75, Vintage 30, Weber Blue Dog, Jensen P10R. I plan on streamlining the mic selection to a SM57 with Crimson Orange handle, Beyerdynamic M160, Beyerdynamic M201, Beesneez BU87I C, and Sennheiser E906.

No comments:

Post a Comment